There is an old saying that goes, "A place for everything, and everything in its place." This may be true for some people. But it seems like this adage just doesn't apply to people who are struggling with disorganization.
This is how some sewists usually struggle: they don’t know where to put their fabric when not in use. They can’t keep track of patterns and pins. They often misplace scissors and tape measures. As a result, their creative spaces are constantly cluttered with scrap and mess.
Having a tidy work space is key to being productive. If you’re in the same messy boat, perhaps it's time to consider adding a folding sewing table with storage to your list. This type of organizer gives you plenty of room to work on projects and also features storage choices to keep your supplies organized and accessible.
The Basic Anatomy of a Foldable Sewing Table With Storage
This sewing machine table is not the same as a typical dining table. This organizer is divided into several sections, each with its own function. Here’s what each section does:
The table base: This is the sewing desk’s main section. It should be sturdy and stable to keep your sewing essentials from tipping over and to hold up your heavy fabrics and sewing machine.
The shelves: Sewing essentials such as fabric, thread, and patterns can be stored on shelves. Look for an organizer with movable shelves so you can tailor the storage space to your specific requirements.
The drawers: Drawers are great places to store small items like pins and needles. Remember that the drawer should have adequate depth to contain all of your things without falling over.
The handles: These are optional, but some organizers have handles on the sides so you can easily carry the foldable sewing table from one room to another.
The wheels: It’s also optional to have this part, but most portable sewing tables have wheels for easier maneuverability when cleaning the floor or moving its position.
10 Reasons Why You Should Add a Sewing Table to Your Workspace
Still stressed about the clutter on your desk? Forget the old, unpleasant look of your sewing table and start squeezing some organizers in your sewing workspace with a foldable sewing table with storage organizers. Here are ten reasons why you should buy one:
- It's perfect for small spaces: If you don't have a lot of space in your home for a dedicated sewing table, this is the perfect solution. Tables like these are small and compact, but they’re large enough when folded out to accommodate all of your stitching needs.
- It's easy to set up and take down: This is a huge plus if you're always on the go. When you need it, you can set it up immediately and fold it up after that.
- It's light: You can easily carry this portable sewing table to sewing lessons or the fabric store.
- It has plenty of storage: You'll have no problem keeping everything organized since it’s equipped with many drawers and shelves.
- It's well-made and sturdy: This table is built to last, so you'll be able to use it for years to come.
- It's attractive and stylish: Most craft sewing tables have sleek and minimalist designs that will look great in any room of your home.
- It's functional: This can help you plan by giving you a space to lay out your fabric and pattern pieces.
- It's accessible: This type of sewing table helps you find what you need right away since you don't need to rummage through drawers or boxes. In other words, you have more time to sew because you’ll need less time to search for things.
- It's versatile: If your workspace is limited, having a versatile piece of furniture like this can be very useful for other purposes, such as a craft table or a makeshift desk.
- It's dirt-free: A sewing table protects your sewing supplies from dust, dirt, and other elements that can damage them.
The Gist of Customization: Can I DIY a Folding Table?
A folding sewing table with storage is an excellent method to keep your sewing equipment organized and accessible. But, before you go out and buy one, consider this: can I make my own sewing table?
If you want to save some money, the answer is yes! You can easily create your personal folding table, as long as you have basic supplies and some basic woodworking skills
Insider Tips Before Creating a DIY Folding Sewing Table With Storage
You can make your own folding sewing table with storage with a few low-cost components and some elbow grease. Here are some things to keep in mind as you get started:
- Choose the right location for your table. It should be close to an outlet, so you can easily plug in your sewing machine, but it shouldn't be too close to other furniture or objects that could impede the smooth operation of the sewing machine. Then, take measurements for the table's location. This will help you determine the size of the tabletop and the number of shelves you'll need for storage.
- Check if the surface of your table is level so that the fabric doesn't shift as you're working on it.
- Gather your materials. You'll need some plywood, a saw, screws, and hinges. Find everything you need at hardware stores. Melamine board is a wonderful choice because it's long-lasting and easy to clean.
- Add padding to the tabletop if you'll be using a sewing machine on it. This will preserve your investment by minimizing scratches and damage to the table.
- Check if the table is stable and does not sway. If you want your table to be extra portable, consider adding some caster wheels so you can move it around easily.
Adding a sewing table with storage definitely tidies up your designated sewing station. This table will not only make your stitching life easier, but a cleaner space will also boost your motivation at work.
If you feel up to it, why not try creating your own table? Keep in mind that you need to plan accordingly and do your research before taking on any DIY projects. With the right equipment, plan, and resources, you can create a custom sewing table that meets all of your needs!
Looking for other types of organizers? Browse our website and check our reviews to improve your sewing experience.