Cutting fabrics is a task that requires attention and finesse. You need to cut at just the right length, and you only get one shot. Cutting too much or too little could ruin the fabric and your whole sewing project.
Choosing your cutting board requires the same skills. You need to choose a reliable one that will handle your meticulous fabric-cutting activities and exceed your expectations when it comes to the range of use. Let us help you narrow down your shortlist of cutting boards for sewing.
Most Recommended Sewing Cutting Board for Sewing
Four brands made it to our shortlist because of their price, features, and quality. Each of them has its own way of getting your attention, but all of them are sought after by sewists and craftspeople.
Crafty World Sewing Cutting Board for Fabric
As a person who likes to sew or quilt, you're also likely to be into other things involving arts and crafts. It will be better for you to have a cutting board that is primarily for sewing but can also handle other creative cutting work.
Crafty World offers a sewing cutting board that's great for fabric cutting. The surface is meant to be used for a rotary cutter, but in case you want to handle paper, clay, or even plastics with a blade or a knife, this product can adapt.
- 9" x 12"
- 12" x 18"
- 18" x 24"
- 24" x 36"
- Reversible, double-sided mats with measuring grids
- Self-healing surface that prevents uneven cutting surfaces
- Scratch-proof outer layer to make sure the measurement lines don't chip off
- Four different angled measurement lines
- Grids are spaced for ⅛ inches
- The cutting mat is strong and can outlast ordinary cutting mats by as much as ten times.
- Both sides can be used, but it still retains their grip on the worktable surface. You don't have to worry about it slipping and ruining your cutting session.
- You can easily clean glue and other sticky substances stuck to the surface.
- Rolling the cutting board is easy, but it would take a while to become flat again. We advise that you keep this on the surface and ready to use.
Fiskars Sewing Cutting Board (Cardboard Type)
If you prefer putting away your cutting mat every after a cutting and sewing session, you'll need something thin but also does the job. Fiskars offers something with a lot more features that will help you cut across your fabrics with ease. It's also very easy to store so that you can dedicate your work table surface to another important endeavor.
- The surface is self-healing and prevents cuts from ruining the surface
- Square-shaped patterns are in place to help cut small pieces of fabrics
- Dual-sided with one side black and the other is dirty white
- Easy-to-read measuring lines
- 30, 45, and 60-degree angle guides
- The colors of the mat on both sides make it easy to use on different colors and shades of fabric. It also doesn't reflect light making the grids easier to see
- It can be rolled out and laid flat with ease, making it convenient to store and set up, so you don't have to keep it on the table all the time.
- The different square shapes at the center of the mat significantly help with other craftworks such as cutting plastics, paper, or cartons. Great for use in arts and crafts.
- The primary material used for this mat emits an odor. It's best to wash it clean before you use it.
US Art Supply Cutting Board (PVC Type)
If you're looking for a brand that understands what an artist needs, it's the US Art Supply. The name itself doesn't need much convincing. They offer products that creators make for creators like you. And if you see your sewing as a creative activity, well, they have the right cutting board to match what you need.
- 9" x 12"
- 12" x 18"
- 18" x 24"
- 24" x 36"
- 36 x 48"
- 40" x 60"
- 40" x 80"
- Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) material
- Five-layer mat for extra toughness
- Self-healing outer layers to keep the cutting surface smooth
- Half-inch grid lines with ⅛" increments
- Comes in either pink or blue as color variations
- Reversible mat, both sides with measuring girds
- 30, 45, 60, and 90-degree angle guides
- Sizes up to 40" x 80"
- The 40" x 80" is one of the largest sizes we've seen in the market so far. Great for those working on projects that need cutting of huge fabrics such as curtains or blankets.
- The PVC material doesn't slip from the table surface when you cut, unlike other cutting boards.
- Color options and measuring lines provide a high contrast allowing you to see clearly what you're cutting.
- The measuring lines are prone to come off if scratched with enough force coming from a knife or a blade. It's best to use rotary cutters to avoid scraping them off the surface.
Omnigrid Sewing Cutting Board for Fabric (Foldable Cardboard)
Students of the craft need their materials to be portable. This allows them to carry it around for workshops and classes to do practical exercises. That said, the Omnigrid cutting board is the right cutting equipment for students and professionals who are always on the go. For professional sewists, the work needs to have momentum in order to finish, so working with the project with as little downtime as possible is beneficial.
- Non-stick ironing surface
- Built-in closure tab and handle
- Half of the foldable surface is a cutting mat
- The other half of the foldable surface is a non-stick presser
- Half-inch grid lines with ⅛ inches of measuring increments
- Includes angled grids
- Portability is the main feature highlight of this cutting mat. It's small enough and can be folded and carried anywhere. Great for apprentice craftspeople and traveling sewists.
- The inclusion of the non-stick surface is perfect for straightening out fabric materials to make sure you make the perfect cut on the material.
- The cutting mat has the tendency to warp if you fold it, while the non-stick surface is fresh from pressing fabric. Be sure to cool the hot surface opposite the mat before folding it.
Our Pick: Crafty World Sewing Cutting Board
We chose the Crafty World cutting mat because it gives good quality at the right price. In addition, the colors of the measuring grid and the surface are versatile enough for every fabric and other similar materials to be seen. Finally, the sizing is just right to fit on most sewing machine tables as well as fabric cutting tables. Overall, The Crafty World mat is an amazing tool for those who want some good fabric cutting work done.
So there you have it—4 of the best cutting boards you can find online, along with their specifications. We hope this round-up makes your craft board hunting easier!