Before you know it, you could be facing a situation where you will need a sewing machine ASAP.
It could be in the middle of preparing for a stage play when some of the curtains suddenly need a quick hem. Perhaps, you find that the long sleeves you're wearing need repair, but you only have less than an hour before work. You barely have enough time to take them off and work on them slowly. Consequently, you seek a quick tool that can help you fix these problems fast.
This is where a hand sewing machine comes in handy. It's a tool designed for quick and portable clothing repair, so you don't have to worry about setting a sewing room and saving some time to sew. This post tackles four of the best sewing handheld machines that will help you fix clothes on the spot without breaking a sweat.
Perks of a Handheld Sewing Machine
First time using a handheld sewing machine? If so, it's natural to want to know the perks first before investing in one. Here are three awesome benefits you can get from a handheld machine for sewing.
Compact for Portability
One of the best features of hand sewing machines is portability. They are made small and compact for convenience, so you can easily bring one with you while traveling. They're perfect tools for quick repairs while on the go.
Fix Clothes Without Removing Them
With handheld sewing machines, you won't have to take the fabric off just to fix them. This is perfect if you don't have time to waste. The drapes of a stage play, for instance, might have been set up with a lot of hard work and would only slow down the production if it had to be removed for repair. This little machine can fix the problem while the item stays right where they are.
A regular sewing machine is quite a huge investment. However, a handheld sewing machine only costs a fraction of the regular type. This means you can invest in it as much as you need to keep your wardrobe damage-free and ready for wear at all times.
Fixing a Broken Stitch: 4 Best Handheld Sewing Machines You Can Use as a Quick and All-Around Repair Tool
It's not always easy to find the tool you need to repair clothes when they unexpectedly break. But we've researched and found four different handheld sewing machines that will work well in these kinds of situations. These are the best handheld machines you can use as a quick and all-around tool anytime, anywhere.
#1: SINGER Stitch Sew Quick Sewing Machine
Let's start this list with Singer, one of the century-long leading brands in the sewing machine industry. The Singer Stitch Sew Quick Machine stays true to its purpose as a reliable, on-the-spot repair tool.
- It comes with basic tools you will need aside from the machine itself, including some starter threads, needles, bobbins, a needle threader, and a thread spindle.
- It comes with a manual that you can rely on to use the machine effectively.
- It is lightweight and portable, weighing only 0.20 lb with 9 x 2.25 x 7.5 in. size dimensions.
- It's AA battery-powered, so you won't have any trouble getting stuck or being held back by a power cord.
- You can get high-quality stitches using this affordable sewing machine (less than $20).
- Naturally, it's less durable and effective than a full-sized regular sewing machine.
- The batteries aren't included in the package.
#2: Stywvoe Portable Sewing Machine
How about a handheld sewing machine that can work in various fabrics? The Stywvoe Portable Handheld Sewing Machine might be up your quick fix alley.
(no manufacturer site)
- You can use it to fix materials made of leather, silk, denim, wool, and crafts.
- It comes in a compact size (8.78 x 5.94 x 2.2 in.) and is lightweight (0.7 lb).
- It can be used as a quick repair tool at home, in the office, in your car, or in your wardrobe.
- It comes with a manual.
- The machine is a single thread (chain stitch) type. You will have to tie a knot yourself after sewing to secure the fix.
- It's affordable and lies within the same price range as the Singer product.
- A perfect emergency tool for traveling or a mini DIY gift for a sewing enthusiast.
- It has two power options: battery-operated (4xAA batteries) or a DC6V adaptor.
- This machine won't work for fabric thicknesses exceeding 1.8 mm.
- It doesn't come with ready-to-use batteries.
#3: WAYA Handheld Sewing Machine
Need a mighty little sewing device for entry-level skills? Look no further with the compact and affordablee WAYA Sewing Machine.
(no manufacturer site)
- It comes in two colors: orange and white.
- It is compact (4.33 x 4.33 x 4.33 in) and lightweight (12.3 oz), a great emergency tool for traveling.
- It operates through batteries (4 AA) or a power supply (6V). However, these items aren't included in the package.
- The machine is a single thread. Therefore, you need to tie a knot on your own after sewing.
- It works best for small, DIY sewing projects or repairs (e.g., baby clothes, wallets, and shopping bags).
- It's a basic handheld sewing set: a sewing machine, threading machine, extension shaft, a needle, a pair of scissors, a tape measure, and eight spools with random colors.
- It includes a manual.
- The features are basic, so it won't work on heavy-duty sewing projects.
#4: Buyfitcase Portable Handheld Sewing Machine
The last (but not least) on our list is the Buyfitcase Portable Sewing Machine, a comprehensive and compact tool for emergency clothing repair.
(no manufacturer site)
- It's designed compact (8.86 x 5.79 x 1.93 in) and lightweight (11.5 oz) to serve as a portable repair tool you can use anywhere, anytime.
- It also runs with a 6V power supply or 4 AA batteries.
- You can use it to fix various fabrics, but ensure that the thickness doesn't exceed 1.8 mm.
- It has entry-level features, so there are limitations on the thickness of the fabric and fix quality. Consider buying a regular machine for heavy-duty sewing projects.
It's Okay to Sew Without a Sewing Space
Don't let the lack of a designated sewing space stop you from repairing clothes. You can use a handheld machine to do all the repairs you need without having to take up extra room in your home. While they have compact and lightweight characteristics, these hand sewing machines can still be heavy-duty tools depending on the item you're fixing.
Of course, regular sewing machines have a more solid and higher quality, but you can get by with a handheld machine for quick fixes. So, the next time something breaks and you're unsure of what to do, try using one of these handheld machines we've outlined above. We hope this article helps you find the best handheld sewing machine with mini portable features for you.