Knitting crochet amigurumi has a lot of perks. Apart from being a good hobby and business, the activity is also fun and de-stressing. Moreover, it’s relatively cheap compared to other types of crafts, especially if you already have yarn on hand! You can even sell your work online or at craft fairs and make money back for your efforts.
There are infinite possibilities when it comes to designing new crochet patterns. The only limit is your imagination!!
One of the contenders in the roster of good yarns for crochet amigurumi is Lion Brand 24/7 cotton yarn. But better we dive into why it's a worthy choice, let's talk about the Japanese art of crocheting.
The Japanese Art of Crocheting: Amigurumi
According to an amigurumi expert, the name is a combination of the words ami, which means knitted or crocheted, and nuigurumi, which refers to a tiny stuffed doll. Although the precise history of crochet dolls is unclear, historians concur that the craft most likely originated in China because there are accounts of knitted dolls from the Shang era.
Crochet amigurumi is a fun, easy project that lets you get creative and make use of yarn scraps. An amigurumi is a small stuffed crochet animal and is one of the most popular types of toys in the world.
Amigurumi can be cute, easy to make, and comforting for all ages. With the right yarn, hook, and pattern, it doesn't matter if you're an experienced crocheter or a beginner: you'll be able to create your adorable Amigurumi in no time.
Factors to Consider While Looking for Amigurumi Yarns:
- Check to see whether the yarns you're purchasing are machine-washable before making your transaction. The least you would want is your plush to fray in the washer.
- The project's intended use also determines the type of yarn used for Amigurumi. For example, if you're making toys with Amigurumi, the yarn should be more durable. Otherwise, you can settle for softer or more delicate ones.
- Aside from the texture, consider your budget. You don't have to break the bank to get high-quality yarn. With a little research, you can find good deals on the brand and type of yarn you want.
About Lion Brand
Lion Brand Yarns, also referred to as Lion Brand Yarn Company and Lion Brand, was founded in the United States in 1878. It is the oldest knitting and craft yarn manufacturer in the nation and produces several newsletters for knitting and crocheting.
They're also a pretty tight-knit (see what we did there) community that encourages social engagements between people through knitting, crocheting, and weaving. In addition, they promote partnerships and collaborations between members. This sense of togetherness makes crocheting a warm and welcoming hobby for all.
The 24/7 Cotton Yarn
Being the leading manufacturer in kitting and sewing, you can never go wrong with the Lion Brand yarns. The 24/7 Cotton Yarn is available on Amazon for $9.14 in almost 40 colors. Talk about variety!
This mercerized, worsted-weight yarn is perfect for crocheting amigurumi because it is made of 100% natural fiber. Its other specifications are noted below:
- Yarn Weight: 4 Medium
- Product Dimension: 6 x 2.5 x 2.5 inches
- Crochet Gauge (4in x 4in): 14 sc x 19 r on G-6 (4 mm)
- Knit Gauge (4in x 4in): 20 sts x 28 r on #6 (4 mm)
- Length (yd): 186 yd
- Length (m): 170 m
- Weight (oz): 3.5 oz
- Weight (g): 100g
- Fiber: 100% Mercerized Cotton
- Washing Instruction: Machine Wash, Machine Dry.
The water shouldn't be warmer than 40C or 105F. Any dry cleaning cleanser other than trichloroethylene and bleach-based products may be utilized. You can use a machine dryer from time to time at a temperature no higher than medium. Ironing, steam, or drying in a conventional iron can all be done at 150C or 300F.
What We Love
With Lion Brand's high-quality yarn, you can crochet Amigurumi dolls and see how they maintain their color and sheen even after numerous washings. You can thank this yarn's worsted weight yarn material for that! In addition, the cotton yarn used in this pattern is strong and holds up well to wear and tear, so your amigurumi creations will last long past the first rounds of washings.
You can also enjoy gorgeous pastel colors with their wide range of hues, which add interest and beauty to your projects. Plus, you have a lot of alternatives with more than 40 distinct hues.
In addition, the best part about crochet amigurumi is that they're made with worsted weight yarn instead of thread or fine thread, making Lion Brand's 24/7 cotton yarn the perfect tool to use for your projects.
What We Don't Like
Every small, honest-to-god business has its ups and downs. They are imperfect but genuine, and that is why we love them. For Lion Brand’s 24/7 yarns, some users have complained about the inconsistency of their dyes. They offer a range of colors; however, there are circumstances where they ordered the same colors but ended up getting different hues.
What tools do you need to start knitting your coaster or Amigurumi? We listed a couple of must-haves before you embark on your amigurumi journey. With the right tools in hand, you'll be able to make any gorgeous doll you want!
What you'll need to make your amigurumi creations come to life is:
A set of crochet hooks
For Amigurumi, we recommend using smaller hooks, such as those in the range of 2-4. You can also invest in a crochet amigurumi kit to save money. An average set will typically run from 2mm to 6mm. But note that the larger the hook, the more you can expect it to create enormous holes in your work.
Your chosen yarn
The three main types of yarn—plant-based yarns like cotton and hemp, animal-based yarns like wool, and synthetic fiber yarns like acrylic—come in various thicknesses. Picking one should be based on the materials required for your amigurumi project. For example, if you're planning to make a bigger doll, consider a thicker yarn.
Sometimes, it's based on preference so just pick anything you're comfortable using.
A selection of crochet amigurumi pattern books
A crochet book is ideal for helping you through the tricky starting stages if you've never even held a hook before, only know one or two stitches, or simply haven't crocheted for years and need a refresher. Some people can do without amigurumi crochet books because they have the Internet to rely on. However, if you prefer books, this is an option.
24/7 Cotton Crochet Amigurumi Ideas
- Cotton yarn is soft and comfortable to hold. You'll love how Lion Brand 24/7 Cotton feels in your hands as you work on your project's details—and so will anyone who receives an amigurumi gift made with Lion Brand 24/7 Cotton!
- Crochet amigurumi make great gifts because they're so easy to make. If you can crochet a circle and chain stitch, you're off to a good start!
- While it's a great idea to give them to the people you love, you can also use the 24/7 cotton yarn to let your imagination run wild. For example, you can create an article of clothing you've seen online. The latest trends talk about the return of the y2k style, which includes crochet tops.
- Running out of rugs or coasters? Instead of buying a new one with an added labor fee, you can save a few bucks by making your own! The 24/7 Cotton yarn comes in bundles of 3, so you can create more for less. Alternatively, you can salvage yarn from old sweaters by unraveling it, soaking it, and letting it dry. Try it!
Many of these activities can help you live a more environmentally responsible lifestyle as you make your reusable household goods and gifts for others. If you want to be even greener, be on the lookout for recycled yarn. You'll soon create more things than you can store!
Indulge your creativity with the Lion Brand yarns
The Lion Brand 24/7 Cotton Yarn is perfect for crochet amigurumi projects because it's soft and easy to work with but also durable enough to withstand years of playtime! In addition, you don't need any other materials besides the yarn itself, so your cost per finished product will be minimal—which means you can make many different designs without breaking the bank!
In short: this cotton yarn is great for making crochet amigurumi! It pays to find a brand you can trust to help you bring your creative visions to life, even if 'creative visions' mean adorable plushies. We hope this article has been useful in enlightening you about Lion Brand's 24/7 Cotton yarn and the lovely amigurumi projects you can make with it. Check out the rest of our blog for other creative tips, product reviews, and practical advice. Happy crafting!