Finding a top-quality sewing machine can be difficult. There are many different models and brands to choose from, and it is easy to get overwhelmed by the choices. A sewing machine is a must-have for any home sewist. You can use it for many different projects, such as clothing, curtains, and toys.
When purchasing a new sewing machine, there are three things you should consider: the type of project you will use it for most often, whether or not you need the heavy-duty capability, and if portability is important to you. In this blog post, we'll talk about five of the best heavy-duty, portable, and affordable models so you can find the one that is right for you!
5 Heavy-Duty Machines You Should Check Out
Some fabric repairs need special equipment to make it happen. For example, you can not simply feed heavy upholstery fabrics to a standard sewing machine and get excellent results. Also, other decorative stitching like embroidery and quilting is difficult to achieve from normal sewing machines.
So, we have compiled the best heavy-duty sewing machine and accessories that can take care of all your sewing needs. Let’s look at each and find the best machine for you.
Brother ST150HDH Sewing Machine
Price Tag: $299.99
- This Brother ST150HDH features 50 different built-in stitches for sewing and decorating. It also includes five automatic buttonholes for easier attachment of different button sizes on your project.
- The machine has an advanced needle threader that lets you put the thread through the needle with a simple lever push. The machine also includes an anti-jam function so you can sew with no hassle and interruptions.
- When you purchase a Brother ST150HDH, it comes with a sewing kit that includes nine sewing fits, instructions manuals, and a set of heavy-duty needles. In addition, you are also entitled to free technical support for your sewing machine via phone support and live chats.
- It has an LCD screen, so you can easily see the close-up look for your project for better accuracy and outcome.
- The sewing machine is lightweight. However, some users report that the machine moves out of place when sewing heavy fabrics, making it difficult to complete a task.
- The machine makes a loud noise when sewing on thick fabric for a long time and usually is an indication that something moved out of place inside the sewing machine.
Janome 2212 Sewing Machine
Price Tag: $199.00
- The Janome 2212 sewing machine has a free arm and convertible flatbed type, so you have a big room for working, especially on long and heavy fabrics.
- This heavy-duty sewing machine motor has a maximum speed of 860 stitches per minute, above the 600 stitches per minute of average sewing machines.
- It has six built-in stitches and four buttonhole functions.
- The sewing machines come with an accessories package that includes ten bobbins, two Schmetz 90 needles, and 14 universal needles.
- The Janome 2212 can perform the basic stitches, but if you want to do decorative stitching, this machine will be difficult to use because of the lack of stitching applications.
SINGER 4432 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine
Price Tag: $209.00
- The SINGER 4432 has an all-metal case, making it a very stable and long-lasting machine.
- The machine offers a 2-year warranty on motor adjustments, switch repairs, wirings, and a 25-year warranty for the parts of the sewing machine head.
- The machine has a built-in reverse lever, so you can simply push the button to activate the reverse mode, giving more reinforcement to your stitches.
- Accessories included are needles, bobbins, a foot controller, dust cover, needles, and a spool pin. This machine also features 110 built-in stitch applications.
- Because of the all-metal casing, it will be difficult to bring this machine to travel because of its considerable weight. If you're planning to buy this model, you should have a committed workstation for your projects.
- Other essential sewing accessories bundled with sewing machines are sold separately, like zippers, lint brush, buttons, and extensions tables which will cost you approximately $50 more.
SINGER 9960 Sewing & Quilting Machine
Price Tag: $499.00
- The SINGER 9960 is the dream sewing machine of sewing artists. This computerized machine is excellent for sewing and making decorative stitches, creating crafts, and quilting. The machine also includes five built-in font styles you can use for your projects.
- The SINGER 9960 has 600 built-in stitches for utility and decorating, five styles for alphanumeric fonts, and 13 one-step buttonhole applications.
- It has an automatic needle threader that can pass the thread from the spool to the needles in seconds, runs 850 stitches per minute, and has anti-jam functions to work smoothly and quickly.
- The price tag of the SINGER 9960 can be too high for people looking for sewing machines on a budget. However, if you are just a beginner, it is alright to start with a machine with basic functions that fit your budget. Then, later on, when you hone your skills, you can upgrade to a premium sewing machine.
Janome HD1000 Black Edition
Price Tag: $295.00
- The Janome HD1000BE interior and exterior body are made from aluminum. Compared to other heavy-duty machines, aluminum is much lighter and has anti-corrosion properties, making this machine last for a long time.
- It has an easy threading system, 14 built-in stitches, and a four-step buttonhole application.
- The sewing machine has an adjustable stitch length and width for convenience and has quilting features with three different feed dogs.
- The sewing machine includes the basic accessories plus a hardcover to protect your machine.
- This machine will run smoothly on light fabrics such as silk and satin, but some users report that they start to have problems in speed and jamming when working with thicker fabrics like denim and wool.
These sewing machines are some of the best compared to other brands. But, if you are looking for machines you can easily bring with you anywhere you go but can repair, fix and stitch with considerable strength, you may want to look into heavy-duty handheld sewing machines. They are portable and more beginner-friendly.
Sewing is something we didn't know we needed until there's a hole in our pants, a ripped curtain in our home, a random craft we want to try, or a hobby we want to take. Having a trusty heavy-duty sewing machine at home is a good investment in the long run.
We hope this review article helped you narrow down your choices for your first-ever sewing machine.