Kids are always full of energy and want to try everything they see. They also love crafts, which is why it comes as no surprise that they want to learn how to sew! But the problem is that sewing machines can be too big for them to use and may result in getting their little fingers hurt if they're not careful.
Luckily, some sewing machines are designed for kids. They come with necessary features like dials instead of regular knobs, have shorter cords, and smaller needles. So instead of dismissing their desire to learn sewing, you can redirect their way around it with safe and child-friendly equipment.
But there are many products in the market, so you might find it hard to choose the best kids’ sewing machine for your little one. So we collected three options below to help you out!
Factors When Seeking a Sewing Machine for Your Little One
First things first, what should you inspect when selecting a sewing machine? You have to be careful with kids' items because they are more inexperienced and delicate than adults.
Here are four factors to inspect when looking for a kids’ sewing machine for ages 8-12 or younger.
Sewing Machine Design
The quickest way to catch a young sewing enthusiast's attention is through a cool-looking machine. They won't bat an eye over a dull sewing machine design. Instead, pick one based on their favorite color or TV character.
Sewing Machine Type
Sewing machines for kids are divided into mechanical and computerized machines. A mechanical machine operates through dials, while a computerized machine involves a screen for adjusting measurements and selecting stitches. Both make great learning machines, so it all goes down to preference.
Safety Features & Stitch Range
A regular sewing machine is generally unsafe for kids, but a kid's sewing machine for beginners incorporates features that make it safe to use. Some examples are finger guards and dials. Additionally, beginners only need a few basic stitches as a start, as having an extensive range can be overwhelming for them.
3 Charming Picks to Find the Best Sewing Machine Your Kid Will Love
What a joy to see your child take an interest in sewing! You may have found them picking up the needle, threading it through the fabric, and making some knots. It's natural for kids to experiment with things that their parents or other people do, and you shouldn't be surprised if they want to learn how to sew, too.
Here are some of the best sewing machines for kids to help your little one start their journey into this creative hobby.
#1: Cool Maker's Sew Cool Sewing Machine
This is it—the little machine for the little makers! Cool Maker's Sew Cool Kids' Sewing Machine is for beginners girls aged six and above.
- Material: Plastic
- Colors: Pink
- Inclusions: Sewing machine, 5 pre-cut projects, bag of stuffing, and playbook
- Dimensions: 5.13 x 8.81 x 8.75 in
- Weight: 1.67 lbs.
- Design: The Sew Cool Machine comes in a pink and white combination, perfect for little girls. It also has a simple construction: threadless and without foot pedals.
- Efficiency: The best thing about this machine is that it needs minimal guidance. Kids learn to use it right out of the box and produce stunning results.
- Safety Features: If your kid isn't ready to deal with thread tension just yet, this is the safest option for them. Kids can sew on it with no thread, no foot pedals, no needles, and bobbins, taking all the risks out. It works without the thread because it resembles a felting machine.
- Stitch Range: This machine doesn't do stitches, but it incorporates five adorable pre-cut fabric projects: a flower, pouch, pen holder, keychain, pen holder, and stuffed kitty. Moreover, they come with printed markings to guide children when sewing.
- If you want your kid to learn basic sewing with complete components, then this isn't the right machine for you.
#2: BreadPeal's Mini Sewing Machine for Beginners
The BreadPeal Mini Sewing Machine caters to kids and grown-up beginners. If you want to experiment with sewing on thin fabrics or find a portable tool for small repairs, this is your go-to.
- Material: Stainless Steel
- Colors: Purple
- Inclusions: basic sewing kit, white extension table, manual, and AC/DC power source
- Dimensions: 9.96 x 9.17 x 6.3 in
- Weight: 2.62 lbs.
- Design: The BreadPeal Sewing Machine is small and portable to fit any space or travel luggage you want to store it in. Moreover, it is purple-colored, a quality that will catch your kid's eye.
- Efficiency: This mechanical machine incorporates basic features so that you can start sewing right away. It has an extension table for spacious and stable sewing, a built-in source of light for guidance, and a thread cutter to maximize sewing efficiency.
- Safety Features: This sewing machine comes with a speed button selection to ensure you can handle the sewing speed you select.
- Stitch Range: This machine doesn't come with stitch variations.
- This machine isn't sturdy enough and too small to work on some sewing projects.
#3: Janome's Graceful Gray Basic Sewing Machine
Here's a mighty little machine for occasional light and basic sewing for you and your young sewing enthusiast—the Janome Graceful Gray!
- Material: Aluminum alloy
- Colors: Gray, purple, green, lilac, mint, yellow, and red
- Inclusions: clear cover, three plastic bobbins, needle threader, two #14 needles, and a manual
- Dimensions: 10.5 x 5 x 9 in
- Weight: 5 lbs.
- Design: The Janome Graceful Gray comes in various delightful colors, so there are options for your kid to choose from. The color combinations make it look like a kid's toy, but at the same time, it has a simplistic design fit for beginner adults.
- Efficiency: It's lightweight and portable, so you can work without breaking a sweat. It also incorporates features that make sewing easy: there are 11 built-in stitches you can experiment with, threading diagrams, accessory storage, easy reverse function, and a top drop-in bobbin for easy setup.
- Safety Features: It features a presser foot with a finger guard to protect your kid's little, delicate fingers. Additionally, it's a free arm machine, so your kid will less likely get entangled in the garment.
- Stitch Range: This machine has 11 built-in stitches, a small number for kids and starters to avoid getting overwhelmed.
- Experienced sewing enthusiasts might not fancy the lack of features.
- This machine is quite noisy and jams frequently.
- There's no built-in light, and it can't sew thicker fabrics.
Nurturing Your Child’s Sewing Dream in Safe and Efficient Ways
A kids' sewing machine can be a great starter, especially if he or she nurtures the dream of becoming an expert in the future. However, you must ensure that such a machine is safe and efficient for use.
The machine doesn't have to be complicated. It only needs a few built-in stitches, easily understandable features, and an eye-catching design to have your kid wanting to use it all the time. We look forward to your little one's pretty, little stitches!